CLIMB - The Center for Loss in Multiple Birth
MISS Foundation - Mothers in Sympathy and Support 1-888-455-MISS
- Intervention Team – 24 hour hotline available with trained volunteers
- On-going support : Local support groups, Online forum boards, Annual conferences, Newsletters
- Free family support packets
- HOPE (Helping Other Parents Endure) peer counseling program
- KISS (Kids in Sympathy and Support) peer group for bereaved siblings
- Community Outreach
- Financial assistance to help with burial funds
- MISSing Angel’s Bill – Birth Certificates for stillborn babies
- Kindness Project
- Parent Bereavement Contact for additional information: Sari Edber Sari@missfoundation.org or Tracey Letteau Tracey@missfoundation.org or email@example.com Tracey Letteau 213-804-7281
SHARE SHARE provides support for families after early pregnancy loss, stillbirth or newborn death.California Local Support Groups
- Open support group for parents who have lost an infant during pregnancy or shortly after birth. Open group, no pre-registration required. Facilitated by Rev. Sharon Yagerlener. Contact: Sharon Yagerlener (562) 933-1454 No charge for the group 2801 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90806 Meetings: 2nd & 4th Monday of each month 7:00-8:30 PM
- Early Loss Support Group at Encino-Tarzana Regional Medical Center A support group for families dealing with miscarriage, medical termination of pregnancy, stillborn loss and newborn loss issues. Groups are led by a professional and new groups are formed as needed. The weekly group meets for six weeks (usually in the evening at the hospital). No charge for group. Call for dates and times: Wendy Kelman (800) 779-6636 or Women’s Resource Center (818) 609-2280
- Joyce Boucher, LCSW, MFT, 310-455-1779, Santa Monica and Woodland Hills. Individual and couple’s counseling for grief and loss, including pregnancy loss, stillbirth, abortion, medical/genetic issues. Also working with cancer and general illness.
- Pamela Varady, Licensed Clinical Psychologist. She sees adults, children, and couples for psychotherapy at her office in Santa Monica, California, and offers phone and e-mail consultations. 310-452-1273 AskDrVarady.com
- Joan Rankin 310-815-9565 Culver City, mother of twins in addition to being a MFT
- Barbara Brawerman, MFT, 310-274-2780, West LA
- Carol Schneider 323-934-2366 Los Angeles (Pico-Robertson area)
- Susan Swanson Davis, LCSW, 310-274-2780, Beverly Hills
- Diane Ross Glazer, PhD, 818-592-6257
- Dr. Walter Greenberg, Psychologist, 310-824-2087
- Lina Kaplan, PsyD, 310-277-4305, Los Angeles. Clinical psychologist specializing in helping women and couples contend with the experience of pregnancy (prenatal) loss.
- Gabrielle Kaufman, MA,ADTR,NCC, 310-289-2202, Near Wilshire and Crescent Heights, (National Certified Counselor and Registered Dance/Movement Therapist)
- Colleen Kelly MA MFT, 310-266-4876, www.colleenkellymft.com 2001 South Barrington Ave, Suite 203, Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Stephanie Book Koehler, MFT 310-391-5851 Los Angeles 90066 (Mar Vista) http://cuttingedgecounseling.com Trauma specialist who uses gentle, cutting edge techniques that go beyond talk therapy and are based in neuroscience. EMDR, Somatic Experiencing and EEG Neurofeedback.
- Melissa Quade, MFT, 818-688-8166, Encino Focusing on helping women and families cope with pregnancy loss.
- Jack N. Soll, MFT, 310-471-2210, Brentwood
- Pilar Stein, LCSW, 310-990-5148, www.pilarstein.com
- Ellie Ross, MFT, 310-586-6995, Santa Monica Specializing in loss related to infertility and pregnancy loss, and other couples’, families and women’s issues.
- Patricia L Wisne, 310-828-1332, 1427 21st St, Santa Monica, CA 90404-2970
- Tara Palansky, MFT, 323-860-8866 Los Angeles (Larchmont area - marriage and family therapist, specializes in grief/loss counseling and support)
- Dorothy Weiss, Ph.D., 310-855-0388, firstname.lastname@example.org 8631 West Third Street, Ste. 620-E, Los Angeles, CA 90048,
Books to help explain what you can expect at first:
- "When Hello Means Goodbye: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Dies Before Birth, at Birth or Shortly After Birth"by Pat Schwiebert, RN and Paul Kirk, MD
- "Empty Arms: Coping with miscarriage, stillbirth, and infant death" by Sherokee Ilse
- "Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby" by Deborah L. Davis, PhD
- "Dear Cheyenne: A Journey into Grief" by Joanne Cacciatore-Garard (Founder of MISS Foundation)
- "Life Touches Life: A Mother’s Story of Stillbirth and Healing" by Lorraine Ash
- "Pregnancy After a Loss: A Guide to Pregnancy after a Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Infant Death" by Carol Cirulli Lanham
- "Journeys: Stories of Pregnancy After Loss" by Amy L. Abbey
Blogs about infant loss and beyond
- Finding A New Normal - life after the death of premature newborn twins (written by the woman who inspired this post).
I hope none of you will ever need these resources; but if you do, I sincerely hope they help.
"Like" The Twin Coach on Facebook!