In many ways this is true, but it shouldn't be. For me, part of the problem stems from the fact that there just isn't enough information out there about all of the preschools that actually exist. We all know about the same 20 schools and once we've narrowed it down to those that are within a reasonable distance from our homes, we feel as though there are only 3 or 4 schools in all of L.A., each with only a handful of spaces available, that hundreds of families are vying for. No wonder we panic!
Last Summer I posted Hidden Gems: Preschools You May Not Know and received an overwhelming response to it. Based on the number of views that post receives each month and judging by the comments left from parents who offered additional "hidden gem" schools, I know there is a need for more sharing. One of the problems I have noticed in searching not just for preschools, but for private elementary schools as well, is that few of the books or websites that list schools have taken into account the fact that their target audience has moved. Literally. Those of us looking for private education no longer only inhabit "the West Side" (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Venice etc.). We now also live in Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Calabasas, Glendale, Studio City and so on. As the prices of homes on the West side rose and the availability of affordable places to live decreased, many families moved East and North. Obviously there must be schools in those areas to accommodate those families.
Thus, I decided to put together a second list here. I have included Westside schools that are, perhaps, lesser known; as well as a number of schools in surrounding areas. I have also included a few that offer more low-cost options (co-ops, YMCA programs, LAUSD pre-K programs and so forth) that I have heard good things about for those families for whom preschool might otherwise not be an option. As before, I would love anyone to add to the comment section any schools they know of that are hidden gems - no matter their location. The more we share with each other, the more we can lessen the panic.
- Children's Center Preschool Serving Silverlake and Los Feliz 323-422-9690
- Children's World Montessori Mid-Wilshire: 323-677-2670 Verdugo and Eagle Rock: Phone 323-256-2215
- A Child's Place, Los Angeles/Palms 310-204-6833
- Branches Atelier, Santa Monica
- Sunflower Preschool, Santa Monica 310-260-1295
- Montessori of Malibu Canyon Calabasas 818-880-0555 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caterpillar Cottage Preschool Lake Balboa/San Fernando Valley 818-881-1355
- Culver City - Palms YMCA preschool (310) 390-3604
- CHALK Preschool Venice: 310-827-7300 Westwood: 310-446-5400
- The J Preschool Santa Clarita 661-877-7121
- Nora Sterry Pre-K West L.A., Pre-K program through LAUSD
- Clover Avenue Elementary Los Angeles, Pre-K program through LAUSD
- Joy School. A co-op homeschool option 801-655-0091
- The Early Years School Santa Monica 310-394-0463
- Evergreen Community School Santa Monica email@example.com 310-453-6255
- Little Dolphins By The Sea Santa Monica 310-998-0011 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SGM Atelier Mar Vista 310-397-4863
- Rose Scharlin, Co-op nursery school, Silver Lake 323-661-1319 or email@example.com
- Miles of Smiles Canoga Park 818-888-1099 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camelot Kids Silver Lake 323-662-2663 or email@example.com
- All Children Great And Small, Los Feliz 323-666-6154 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delaney Wright Fine Arts Preschool, Hollywood 323-871-2470
- Los Angeles Family School Silver Lake 323.663.8049
Thanks for reading!
The Twin Coach
Thank you to everyone who voted for my blog on Babble's 50 Best Mom Blogs, I am currently number 39! If you haven't voted yet please click here, scroll down and click on "I like this blogger!", I would be so appreciative!
"Like" The Twin Coach on Facebook!