(Best Breast Pump of 2017)
There are various reasons why breastfeeding mothers would need to express their breast milk at some time. Some of the short-term reasons include nipple soreness, breast refusal or poor attachment. Other critical situations include a baby with permanent attachment difficulties or a mother being separated from her baby during the working hours. Some mothers have their own reasons why they choose to do so and it can be kept in the freezer for emergencies. A breast pump offers the best solution for mothers who are having difficulties breastfeeding their kids. Although you may have your own reason for expressing breast milk, it can be challenging to determine the best pump for use.
Before thinking of purchasing one, you have to know when you need a breast pump. It is recommended to start using a breast pump when your kid is about three to four weeks old. It makes them get used to the bottle nipple from a tender age and you won’t have to worry when leaving home for other duties. It gives enough time for the baby to start preferring the bottle nipple to the real breast milk. Your situation will determine how long you have to breastfeed.
Breast Pump Reviews
After analyzing the top-rated models, I’ve come up with this breast pumps reviews that guarantee quality and affordability. It is important to have an idea of what to expect in the market before making any purchasing decision. Here is a list of the best ten breast pumps to look for.
|Medela Pump in Style||128 ounces||Electric||$$$|
|Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Double||112 ounces||Electric||$$$|
|Philips AVENT Comfort Double||32 ounces||Electric||$$$|
|Spectra S2 Plus||52.8 ounces||Electric||$$$|
|Lansinoh Signature Pro Double||32 ounces||Electric||$$$|
|BelleMa Pro Double||14.9 ounces||Electric||$$|
|Medela Symphony||5 pounds||Hospital grade||$$$$|
|Ameda Elite||6.5 pounds||Hospital grade||$$$$|
|Philips AVENT SCF330/20 Comfort||11.7 ounces||Manual||$$|
|Freemie Equality Double Concealable||3.7 ounces||Manual||$$|
The Medela Pump in style is best suited for a breastfeeding mom who values the efficiency of a double electric breast pump. It comes with an integrated carrying case to enhance portability. It was purposely designed for moms who express breast milk many times in a day. Medela is a reputable company that has been in existence for quite some time. This pump style is one of their award-winning product that makes breastfeeding easier. Not only does it guarantee quality but also efficiency as well as comfortability. It is safe for you and the baby since all parts that hold onto the breasts are BPA free.
Inbuilt bottle holders, a removable pump, PersonalFit breast shields, 3 stylish microfiber bags, and BPA free, single knob speed and vacuum adjustments. It also comes with a 2-Phase Expression technology and a one-touch let-down button.
- It features mesh storage milk bags and a work surface for flexibility during pumping and transportation
- It comes with everything you need to pump, feed and store your precious breast milk safely
- It is safe for the mother and the baby because it is made without phthalates such as BPA or DEHP.
- It has the ability to express more milk in less time
- It seems expensive for the budget minded
A double electric pump would be best off with moms who don’t have much time on their hands for pumping. If you plan to express milk several times a day, Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Double breast pump will be the best choice for you. It is a closed system that guarantees quality and safety through the Proven Airlock Protection feature. It helps to safeguard your baby’s health by keeping away viruses, mold, and bacteria away from the breast milk being pumped. It comes with updated features such as easy-to-use control dials, with a unique exterior finish.
Separate speed and suction settings, different flange sizes, leather tote bag, three power sources, BPA-free, Dual Hygienikit milk collection system. It is also lightweight and has a closed system pump.
- It is lightweight and offers great portability
- The closed system pump protects the breast milk from molds and bacteria.
- It is straightforward to use and easy to clean
- The individual settings for suction and speed increases the milk flow
- It can be used quietly at work as it produces very little noise
- It is comfortable
- It has manual controls
- Most moms have difficulties setting up the suction and speed dials
It is a small and light breast pump with fewer parts that allows for easier cleaning. The neck is angled for sitting comfortably while expressing breast milk. The nipple bottles are well-shaped to help the baby switch from the real breast to bottle. The Philips AVENT is a 3-speed breast pump that comes with massage cushions for nipple comfort and a let-down setting. It is suitable for breastfeeding work moms and allows your baby to enjoy all the benefits of breast milk. The massaging petals help to stimulate the flow of milk by imitating natural suckling patterns of your baby.
BPA-Free, dishwasher safe attachments, 2-year warranty, natural nipple bottle, breastfeeding bra clip, and patented soft cushion. It also comes with 3 pumping settings accompanied by adjustable suction control.
- It is straightforward to use with few lightweight parts to be assembled.
- The dishwasher-safe parts can be sterilized for easy cleaning
- 2-year warranty guarantees buyer’s protection in case you experience some technical problems
- The natural nipple bottle allows for easier transition from breast to bottle feeding
- Moms with sensitive breasts might take time to adjust to the massage cushions
The reason why most moms love the Spectra S2 plus electric breast pump is that it can either be used as a single or double pump. It is considered a closed system that offers adjustable settings with a letdown mode. It offers a quiet pumping experience since a louder pump can bother moms at work. It is a hospital grade pump that boasts an incredible maximum suction strength. It is comfortable and one of the well-priced options of breast pumps in the market. The letdown mode allows you to adjust the speed and suction to your comfort level and preferences.
Dual functionality (Single or Double pump), lightweight, timer and night light, digital touch buttons, 250 mmHg suction strength, and it is a closed system.
- It offers a powerful pumping capability with the hospital-grade suction
- It is well priced to meet the budget of breastfeeding moms
- It operates very quietly which makes you comfortable at work
- It is easy to use and totally safe (BPA free).
- It also comes with an inbuilt timer
- It is good for hygiene purposes as it is a closed system
- It does not have a backup battery since you have to plug it directly into the socket.
It is one of the effective and a budget-friendly option for breastfeeding moms. Lansinoh Signature Pro Double electric pump is equipped with three pumping styles which give moms control over their pumping experience. You can choose from eight adjustable suction levels that come with each category. It combines both good quality and value. We found this pump fairly straightforward to assemble and you can visualize its appearance after sterilization. Mom testers who used this pump found it comfortable against their breast since no one had issues with the sizing. It can be packed up nicely and used away from home.
Three pumping patterns, Backlit LCD screen with timer, comfortFit Flange features (Soft, flexible rim), powered by 6 AA battery with an adapter, and a tote bag for storage and transportation.
- It produces a very low noise when in action
- It can easily be cleaned and assembled
- It is lightweight and offers great portability
- The three pumping styles gives a better experience when expressing breast milk
- Has a closed-system design that prevents milk from entering the tubing
- There might be occasional leaking around the nipple shield
- You require a separately sold pumping breast milk bustier for hands-free pumping
The BelleMa breast pump comes with a longer power cord that can allow you sit in spots that offer privacy. It is a closed system double electric pump with independent left and right controls. It makes it a breeze to carry this unit to the workplace the fact that it only weighs 14 ounces. It operates swiftly and doesn’t cut into your work time since it is easier to assemble. BelleMa breast pump allows for double pumping without any reduction in suction power. It makes the expression of breast milk super comfortable as you can easily regulate the left and right vacuum control.
2 phase pumping, 25 customized speed adjustments Memory function, FDA approved/ BPA free, LCD screen, and is compatible with Medela pump.
- The memory function helps to remember your preferred settings
- It comes with one-year limited warranty
- The LED display screen gives you pumping level readings while indicating the mode and time
- It is easily portable and can be carried everywhere
- Most users never felt uneasiness while pumping
- It guarantees your well-being as well as the baby
- It is slightly noisy in a quiet room
- It might take some time to get used to the controls
It is a silent, powerful hospital-grade breast pump that provides a pain free pumping experience. Medela Symphony breast pump is amazingly effective and useful for mothers who want to increase milk supply or pump regularly during the day. There are a few moms who will rent it due to it higher price while others prefer purchasing the breast pump at once. It is a huge investment worth the price because of the quality of performance and unique features. It has a closed system with an overflow protection that prevents backflow of breast milk in the tubing and motor.
3-year limited warranty, BPA free, LCD display, 2-phase expression technology, electric and vehicle power options, adjustable speed and vacuum control.
- It can be used as a rental unit
- It provides single and double pumping options
- It was purposely designed for long term daily use
- The vacuum control and adjustable speed helps maximize your comfort
- Moms can easily return to stimulation by pressing the let-down button
- The 2-phase expression technology was designed to imitate a baby’s natural nursing rhythm
- It helps to initiate and maintain milk supply
- It is mostly rented out due to its high price
It is a hospital –grade breast pump that was designed for long term and frequent use. It is best suited for breastfeeding moms who are trying to establish their milk supply or just want to maintain their current milk production. It is a popular choice among various maternity hospitals, pharmacies and birthing centers. It is equipped with a piston driven motor and a micro-processor. It allows you to find a perfect comfort level by offering fully customizable options. This makes pumping sessions more efficient and quicker. You have more levels to choose from in the separate adjustment dials i.e. for vacuum strength and speed or cycles.
Micro-processor controlled, two separate dials, whisper-quiet operation, 6 pounds, proven airlock protection, inbuilt bottle holders and a 3-year limited warranty.
- The airlock protection has a diaphragm barrier that prevents the contact of outside air with your breast milk.
- It is straightforward to clean and operate
- It can either be used as a single or double pump
- The two separate dials offer unlimited choices, one for vacuum strength and another one for cycle speed
- The Ameda Elite breast pump has a sky-rocketing price despite its unique features and performance
The Philips AVENT breast pump was purposely designed to allow breastfeeding moms express milk easily when they are comfortable and relaxed. With this pump, you won’t have to lean forward since the soft massage cushion will stimulate your milk flow gently. Its unique design gives it a more comfortable pumping position with a warm feel. It has an ergonomic shaped handle that guarantees full control and a secure hold when expressing milk. It makes pumping on-the-go more discreet the fact that it is small and lightweight. This breast pump can be used in combination of other products in the Philips AVENT collection.
BPA free, compact lightweight design, Natural bottle with Natural nipple, soft textured massage cushion, and intuitive assembly.
- The small number of separate parts makes it easier to clean
- It can easily be operated with a single hand
- Provides easy visual matching of the parts because of its intuitive assembly
- It is compatible with other Philips AVENT feeding products
- The soft massage cushion gives a warm feel
- Its unique design allows you to pump at a more comfortable position
- It is affordable and easily accessible
- It is not suitable for breastfeeding moms who express milk several times a day
It is a manual breast pump that was designed for both single and double pumping. It is suitable when you are spending time at home with your baby or on the go. It conforms to the safety and regulatory standards the fact that it is BPA and latex free. The Freemie Equality Deluxe Set has all of its parts warrantied against defects relating to the materials or workmanship. However, it is important to go through their return policies to avoid any inconveniences. The set of Freemie Collection Cups are also fully compatible with most of the popular electric pumps.
Two 8-oz concealable collection cups, 2 25mm breast funnels, a single Freemie Equality Connection Kit, two 28mm breast funnels.
- It is multipurpose breast pump since it can be used for single and double pumping
- It offers a warranty that provides buyers’ protection in case of functionality or technical problems
- It is straightforward to use with a handheld pump handle
- It offers a great value for money
- The Freemie Collection Cups are compatible with popular electric pumps
- It requires manual operation which might be tiresome for regular pumpers
- The connection kits for the compatible electric pumps are sold separately
Types of Breast Pumps
There are different types of pumps and their functionality will depend on individual preferences. This includes the manual breast pumps, personal electric and hospital-grade electric breast pumps.
Manual Breast pumps
The suction of these pumps can be created using a pressing motion with your own hands. You will find some which can be operated easily with one hand while others are best suited with two hands. They are small and quiet pumps as they lack a motor. This makes them a great choice for occasional pumping or travel. They have a flange (breast shield) that cups your breast. The flanges are of different sizes and you can always figure out one that fits you perfectly.
Personal electric breast pumps
Breastfeeding moms who have long shifts at work prefer this style of breast pumping because of its functionality. It has the ability to empty both breasts at the same time. It also saves you time by filling both bottles at once. They have a carrying case and you have the option of using an electrical outlet or a battery power. Other models offer a cooler storage where milk can be transported back home. Although there are single electric pumps in the market, you will have to take longer when expressing the breast milk.
Hospital grade electric breast pumps
They have powerful motors and are considered to be heavy-duty. This means that they produce a greater quantity of milk from a breast than other models. Most of them are often rented because they are highly expensive.
Criteria for evaluation
It may seem difficult to determine the best breastmilk pump with a variety of brands available in the market. To make it easier for you, we came up with the following criteria for evaluating the best breast pumps.
Ease of use
The type of pump you select has the potential of being used several times a day. It is important to look into the involved process of setting up the unit and the usage. There are pumps which are quite intuitive while others are very difficult to set up. It is an essential factor especially when you are a working mom, an exclusive pumper of you travel often. This means that you will need to use your breast pump in different areas. Analyze the parts that need to be assembled and how quickly they can be used once cleaned and dried. You also have to determine whether the unit runs on batteries or it requires a wall outlet. The Spectra S2 and Medela Pump in Style fit in this category as they started out with simple assembly and great instructions.
Every breastfeeding mom would want to be hooked up to a milk machine that is more than inviting. It is important to determine the amount of milk that can be rendered by a pump as well as answering the most common question, “how long should I pump?” In our top ten list, we found that most of the breast pumps rendered the same amount of milk consistently. The primary difference was the time taken to pump a particular quantity of milk. Evenlo Advanced, Ameda Purely and Lansinoh were the best in the category as they are able to do it more quickly.
Moms are always careful with anything that relates to their newborn baby by maintaining hygiene. When purchasing a breast pump, it is important to consider this factor since a variety comes with many moving parts that need to be sterilized after use. This ensures that no bacteria or fungi such as mold can potentially interfere with your baby’s milk. Although other pumps were considered to be a closed system, they would seem difficult to use for new breastfeeding moms.
Portability should be the top priority in your list if you are planning to travel often with your breastfeeding pump. It is essential to look at the ease of use and the kind of breast milk storage offered by the pump. There are many reasons why women travel with a pump and are commonly used at work or when on vacation. It is also necessary to look into essential features such as the storage capacity and ease of use. This involves an insulated cooler for your expressed milk and the bag for the pump.
New moms who are breastfeeding may have experienced a few difficulties when using the pump for the first time. Sometimes it might be slightly uncomfortable at the beginning as you adjust to its performance and feel comfortable over time. Therefore, the comfort is an essential factor to be taken into consideration when purchasing a new breast pump. You will find other pumps comfortable based on their breast flanges while for other models, it depends on the functionality of their suction and pumping settings.
If you want to choose the best breastpump, you have to think of its usage and functionality. Moms who pump multiple times a day would be better off with the double electric pumps. Once you have made a decision on a particular model, learn how it works so that you can feel comfortable while using it. Medela Pump in Style is our top pick for the best breast pumps in the market. It is more powerful than other brands while offering a comfortable feel when expressing milk. It is highly efficient and purposely designed for at work moms. Philips AVENT SCF330/20 Comfort naturals were one of the top-budget picks for the manual breast pumps since it is very effective when used occasionally or during travel, while for hospital-grade breast pumps we recommend Medela Symphony. You can make your life a lot easier once you feel ready to use a breastmilk pump.