(My Recommendations on Best Crib Mattress of 2017)
When it comes to a baby’s development, it is most likely that you will want a crib mattress that offers ideal support. Most complications arise when the baby suffocates due to overheating or they get stuck while facing down. At this point in time, they often have a tender body structure that requires utmost care. This begins with making the right choice of baby mattress to ensure that your infant sleeps safe and sound. Not only does a good quality baby mattress help a child to sleep cozy but also promotes their health while ensuring safety as well.
Did you know?
Last 2012, the state of California a lot of companies (including Target and Babies-R-Us) for using a flame retardant TDCPP (chlorinated Tris) in 20 different products, including baby mattresses. Check this post for a complete list of affected products.
It is estimated that babies and toddlers spend half of their first five years in a sleeping environment. The fact that they sleep for long hours during a day is enough reason to choose for them a good bedding that blends with their surroundings. The mattress should also fit perfectly in the selected crib without leaving any gaps that could cause harm to your baby. Always look for quality regardless of the type of mattress you choose. No one can actually tell the best mattress by its cover or color. There are mattresses that would feel great in the store but falter immediately your baby starts using it.
Crib Mattress Reviews
It is not always easy to find the right size and quality due to a lot of brands available in the marketplace. After a careful analysis of the brands offered by reputable companies, I came up with a list of the most top rated crib mattresses for baby’s safe sleep below.
|Colgate Eco Classica III||9.4 pounds||Lifetime||Foam, cotton||$$$|
|Newton Wovenaire||11 pounds||Lifetime||Woven food-grade polymer||$$$|
|Naturepedic No Compromise||27 pounds||Lifetime||Cotton||$$$|
|Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer||10.5 lbs||Lifetime||Memory foam||$$$|
|Sealy Soybean Foam-Core||8.3 pounds||Lifetime||Soybean oils||$$$|
|My First Premium Memory Foam Mattress||11.9 pounds||10 years||Memory foam||$$$|
|Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams||8 pounds||2 years||BPA free||$$|
|Simmons Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers||19.4 pounds||Lifetime||Innerspring||$$$|
|Milliard Memory Foam Crib Mattress||11.5 pounds||30-day return||Bamboo||$$|
|Lullaby Earth Breeze||5.2 pounds||Lifetime||Lead-free||$$$|
The Eco Classica III is a dual-sided mattress that was purposely designed for infants and toddlers. The company has been in existence since 1955 having built trust over the years for manufacturing quality products that have a minimal compromise. The Eco Classica III is one of their eco-friendlier mattresses the fact that it meets the CertiPur-US regulation standards. It is a foam core with a firm side for the infant and moderately soft side for the toddler. This helps maintain the needed support during sleep thus making it easier for the toddlers to change positions at night. It is lightweight due to its foam core properties making it a breeze to change sheets and pads. The squared edges fit perfectly on the corners of the crib without leaving any gaps. It has excellent reviews for longevity and any parent will be willing to pay extra because of its amazing qualities.
Dual firmness property, Greenguard standard, orthopedic style and standard size, certified organic cotton cover, ecologically friendly foam and rayon cloth flammability barrier.
- It is lightweight making it easier to change sheets
- It is made from organic materials that are eco-friendly
- It is certified by Greenguard and CertiPur-US to guarantee safety and healthy environment for your baby
- It has no strange odors like other models
- It is a versatile mattress with dual usage for infants and toddlers
- It lacks an edge support that is compensated by its firmness
This mattress is by far the most unique among the collections of top rated models. It comes in a combination of two components; a 3-D spacer cover and a Wovenaire material. This material is a flexible block of a woven food-grade polymer. The entire mattress if pretty awesome comprised of 90% air and 10% polymer. Unlike other breathable mattresses, the Newton Wovenaire has a lower risk of suffocation. The removable cover can be washed in the washing machine to maintain a clean environment for your baby’s sleep. It is also super comfortable and your infant will have an easy time changing positions in the crib. The cover has tiny holes that prevent accumulation of moisture within the mattress. Generally, the Newton Wovenaire mattress is amazing and lacks unpleasant odors which tend to be irritating to small babies.
11 pounds, waterproof, single sided, limited lifetime warranty, woven food grade polymer, 3-D space cover and free of biocides.
- It is easier to clean due to the waterproof cover
- It is lightweight and very comfortable for both infants and toddlers
- It is not necessary to have crib sheets
- It can easily be recycled
- It is breathable which reduces the chances of suffocation
- It lacks any odor that might seem unpleasant to the baby
- It has the right balance of firmness and support for the infants and toddlers
- It is a bit pricey despite its unique properties
The Naturepedic organic cotton classic is one of the top quality products from a leading manufacturer in the organic mattress industry. It has won numerous awards for providing a healthy, comfortable and natural sleeping environment for infants and toddlers. It comes with seamless waterproof edges and sets the standard for other types of mattresses. Although it is one of the most expensive options in the list, it comes with its own unique advantages. The fact that it is double sided means that you can use it for a long time till the infant transitions to the toddler bed. The outer layer is made of food-grade polyethylene that is waterproof and lacks any nasty chemicals. The company has a good customer service in case you experience any problems when using the mattress. It is just an excellent mattress beside all of the great natural properties.
100% organic cotton, double sides, firm non-toxic waterproof surface, edge support, 150 coils, and a GREENGUARD certification. It weighs 30 pounds with an innerspring and a lifetime warranty.
- It is comfortable on both sides perfect for your infant and toddlers
- It is easy to clean with the waterproof materials
- It is durable and can last for a long period of time
- It is seamless and has organic properties that guarantee the safety of your baby
- It meets the standards of Greenguard certification
- It lacks nasty odors or chemicals in its composition
- It is a little bulky and pricey because of the quality materials used.
This is a double sided mattress that has a high longevity as it lasts from the early days to toddler years. Although it comes at a cost, Moonlight Slumber has taken a different approach to coming up with a mattress that is free from polyethylene, PVC, vinyl, and phthalates. The Little Dreamer is a foam mattress that is lightweight and easy to clean. It is also free of toxic chemicals since it has been CertiPur-US certified. It lacks flame-retardant chemicals in its composition. Unlike other types of mattresses, the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer has the stitching on one side of the mattress. It has a waterproof exterior that can be cleaned easily by wiping with a clean rag. It has a great build quality with a nice touch in the seamless edges.
This mattress does not have age or weight limit since the memory foam regains its original shape so easily upon pressure.
Hypoallergenic, 10.5 lbs, waterproof, dropped side-stitched seams, 5 inches thick, dual side sleep system, and a medical grade fabric. It is has been tested for performance with the CertiPur-US.
- It is highly durable and will not sag over time provided you exercise proper care
- It is free from potentially hazardous chemicals, firm enough for your newborn
- The outer cover is not only waterproof but also hypoallergenic
- It comes with a lifetime warranty that offers buyers’ protection against technical defects
- The density memory foam provides the safety and support for your infant
- It is a little bit expensive
- There is an apparent odor after unwrapping the product
The Soybean Foam-Core baby crib mattress has all great claims about its features and the reputation of the manufacturing company. It has a nice and firm soft cotton upper layer with a waterproof cover that prevents accidental spills. This mattress comes with a ventilation layer that enhances airflow and prevents accumulation of moisture inside the mattress. Its angular corners will fit your baby’s crib perfectly as long as you have chosen the right size. The secret behind this mattress is that it was crafted out of soybean oils. The Greenguard certificate ensures that there is a safe and healthy environment for your baby. The wrapping is made of natural cotton that provides the ultimate level of comfort for both infants and toddlers.
Greenguard Gold Certified, 5 inches thick, 8.3 pounds, Soybean oil materials, pearl-embossed cotton cover waterproof, for children up to 4 years old and 60 lbs weight limit.
- The pearl-embossed cotton cover is not only waterproof but also resistant to stains
- It fits perfectly on the baby’s crib with the angular-cut corners.
- It can be used for both infants and toddlers
- It is purely made from all-natural soybean materials that guarantee your baby’s safety
- It passes the ASTM standards allowing your baby to sleep peacefully at night
- It can be cleaned easily with a damp sponge
- The product is light in weight which makes it a snap to change the sheets
- It is not a dual sided mattress and thus offers the same foam density and firmness on both sides
It is a highly recommended bed pad for babies and toddlers with pure hypoallergenic properties. It is made up of a base layer, a memory foam layer and covered with an eco-friendly fabric material. It is made with a flexible polyurethane foam that has been CertiPur-Certified. It is an anti-microbial and mite proof mattress that is free from lead and phthalates. It is considered to be a premium memory that allows for a restful night of sleep.
The memory foam accounts for the shape and pressure of the baby. This makes it a quiet and comfortable mattress. It can be easily cleaned because of its waterproof capabilities and a washable soft velour cover. It also meets the federal and CPSC flammability standards. Once you remove the mattress from its cover, allow it about 24 to 72 hours so that it can decompress. This helps to remove the scent that comes with the plastic cover protection.
CertiPur-US certified, 5 inches thick, 10-year warranty, firm memory foam, hypoallergenic, and plush removable waterproof cover. It also exceeds the federal and CPSC flammability standards.
- It was designed to keep your baby comfortable during sleep without compromising on safety
- The removable plush cover is fully machine washable
- It has a 10-year warranty that offers buyers’ protection and gives peace of mind
- It is easy to change sheets or remove the cover due to its lightweight
- It does not have dual sides for both infants and toddlers
It comes with a Greenguard Gold certification that proves its efficiency in your baby’s sleeping environment. Safety 1st heavenly dreams crib mattress is manufactured by a reputable company that has been in existence for quite some time. The manufacturer has been producing some of the quality baby products that are supplied worldwide. It is constructed with a vinyl cover and a thermo-bonded core that has a high density.
It still remains comfortable throughout the baby’s sleep. Heavenly Dreams also has great edge supports that fits perfectly in the corners of the crib. Most families who have used this mattress before never saw any signs of overheating or sweating. This means that the air holes in the cover allowed free flow of air. It is a great alternative for those who work on a fixed budget due to its desired qualities. Using this mattress will make your baby fall asleep quicker and stay in bed longer.
Non-organic, 8 pounds, waterproof, dual-sided, 2-year warranty, High-density thermo-bonded foam and has a Greenguard Gold certification.
- It is easy to clean since it comes with a waterproof cover
- It is generally affordable for its durable features and offers a great value for money
- It has a great edge support
- It is meant for both infants and toddlers because of its longevity
- It is lightweight which makes it a breeze to change sheets
- It is safe and creates a healthy sleeping environment as it does not have any dangerous chemicals.
- The vinyl cover tends to make some noise when the baby is shifting positions.
The Sleepy Whispers is another product that performed well in the innerspring category. It is equipped with air holes for breathability, with the Greenguard gold and CertiPur-US certifications. It has an extra comfortable layer side for toddlers as well as the infants. It is hypoallergenic which guarantees a safe and healthy sleeping environment for your baby.
The Sleepy Whispers can be cleaned easily the fact that it has a water-resistant cover. Both sides of the mattress showed a superior support for any pressure applied on the edges. This greatly reduces the risk of suffocations since the angular edges fit perfectly on the baby’s crib. It has passed all the necessary tests that are looked into by the regulatory authorities. When it comes to comfort, there is definitely a significant difference between the infant side and the toddler side.
19.4 pounds, water-resistant, innerspring, non-organic, limited lifetime warranty, dual-sided, innofoam corner protectors and 231 luxury pocketed coils. It also conforms to the Greenguard Gold and CertiPur-US standards.
- It meets the regulatory standards of Greenguard Gold and CertiPur-US
- It doesn’t have unpleasant odors
- It offers great durability
- It has good amount of coils
- It has a great edge support
- It is made of eco-friendly materials that are very safe for babies and toddlers
- It is breathable and reduces the chances of suffocation
- It is very supportive and ensures your baby is comfortable during the night
- The heavier side could be improved a bit
It is one of the best foam crib mattresses that you can find in the market. The mattress provides a perfect combination of craftsmanship, comfort, support, and value. It conforms to the health standards of the regulatory authority that ensures your baby sleeps in a safe environment. It is a great alternative for the budget-minded the fact that it is hypoallergenic and CertiPur-US certified. It has a thicker polyester cover that adds a secondary layer to the firmness of the mattress. Its hypoallergenic properties prevent the occurrence of potential hazards such as allergens, bacteria, dust mites, and mold. It has a waterproof cover that is completely washable and thus maintaining the needed hygiene for your infant.
5.5. inches, 32 ILD, and 28 D density, CertiPur-US certified, hypoallergenic, firmer foam base, bamboo material type and waterproof resistant. It also features anti-flammable materials and well-ventilated.
- It has a good air flow that enhances retention of low heat
- It combines a perfectly balanced comfort and support ratio
- The top and sides are waterproof to prevent inevitable accidents
- It is made of anti-flammable materials that guarantee flame retardancy
- It meets the required safety restrictions and regulations
- It offers a good edge strength that allows the baby to stand or walk on the edge without the mattress sinking
- It often comes with a scent that is potentially persistent and may bother a few kids. Although most people can deal with it, it is said to dissipate over time.
It was purposely designed for maximum airflow and breathability to create a healthy environment for your baby or toddler. The Lullaby earth breeze mattress is finished with a special, breathable pad for a more comfortable sleep. The softer ‘cushion firm’ side is meant for toddlers whereas the other side is suitable for infants. It has a strong edge support that prevents suffocation or accidental occurrences between the mattress and the crib. It is easier to change the crib sheets due to the light weight of the mattress. A big bonus of the Lullaby Earth breeze mattress is that they score highly on chemical safety. They are free of questionable materials such as phthalates, PVC and vinyl materials. It is a huge investment for your baby’s sleeping environment as it is generally comfortable and safe.
10 lbs, truly breathable, double waterproof, 2-Stage dual firmness and edge support, Super Lightweight and snug fit, and lacks harmful chemicals.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty that offers buyers’ protection and trust of the product
- It comes with 2-stage firmness for both infants and toddlers
- It conforms to the flammability regulations with no chemical flame retardants
- It has no known allergens
- It is free from polyurethane foam, vinyl/PVC, phthalate and perfluorinated compound (PFC)
- It is made in the U.S. and fits perfectly in the standard cribs
- It is quite expensive despite the unique qualities
- Some babies or toddlers might find the firm sides too hard
Types of crib mattresses
The innerspring and foam are the two primary types of mattresses that would be appropriate for your baby depending on the quality you choose. A top quality brand will provide great support for your infant or toddler while maintaining their shape.
If you choose to go with the innerspring mattress, a few factors to consider include:
- the number of layers
- materials used in the layers
- the quality of the cover
Although you may be working on a fixed budget, you can always find the best crib mattress without sacrificing the quality. Some of them have a vinyl cover that is easy to clean and crafted with border rods for added strength. They often come with two sides for the baby and the toddler. The firmer side that is covered in foam is purposely designed for the infant while toddler takes advantage of the innerspring coils fitted inside the mattress.
Most of the foam mattresses are usually made from polyurethane. Most of the orthopedic firm foam crib mattresses have a waterproof cover. The best form mattresses are always resilient and firm on the heavy side. If you press the center and edges of the mattress, it should snap back right away. It is advisable to stay away from those that will conform to the shape of your hand. No parent would want their baby to rest on something that will mold to the shape of their head.
Organic crib mattress
The organic baby mattress is usually the most expensive over innerspring and foam when it comes to price. However, there is always a great feature that makes the price worth it. They are known to be the healthiest crib mattresses available with 100% organic material. It is usually crafted from cotton which eliminates all potentially harmful allergens and chemicals. It is usually important to consider the long-term benefits of using healthier organic mattresses rather than the traditional polyurethane types. This guarantees a safe and healthy growth for your baby until the transition to the toddler bed.
How to choose the safest and healthiest baby crib mattress
It always recommended purchasing a new mattress since the used ones cannot last for a long duration. Furthermore, they may put your baby’s health at risk as they may hide dust mites and are generally unsanitary.
A great quality infant mattress has a lifespan of at least three years of it is well-maintained. However, you will need to replace the mattress if you see signs of wear and tear. According to the health experts, parents should consider purchasing a 100% breathable mattress for their infants or toddler. On the contrary, soft mattresses tend to be suffocative and are considered to be one of the key factors for SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
To get the best deal, you have to focus on the basic qualities and some developed features that will make a good sleeping surface for your baby. Below are factors to consider when selecting the best baby crib mattress.
Ease of Cleaning
The mattress that is waterproof can be cleaned easily as it protects the mattress from being stained. Not only does the cover offer the ease of cleaning but also prevents accidental diaper leaks from getting deeper into the mattress. The best models to clean are vinyl covers of ones that have a removable cover. It takes minimal effort while using a sponge and recommended soap for cleaning.
Like other products, all brands of crib mattresses should have a certification from a higher authority. This verifies that the polyurethane foam inside the mattress conforms to the standards for content, emissions and durability. It shows that they have been analyzed by independent and accredited testing laboratories. They give an assurance that the product meets strict limits on chemical emissions and contributes to the creation of healthier interiors.
Mattress and crib size
The size of the mattress will depend on the interior dimensions of the crib itself. It is important for the mattress to fit perfectly without leaving any gaps as this could pose the risk of suffocation. There is no difference between the baby crib and toddler mattress in terms of size. You can still use the same convertible baby crib once your baby is ready to transition to the toddler mattress or use it as pack and play mattress.
It is usually recommended that the mattress should have a flat, firm surface. Choosing one that is too soft can create depressions which increase the risk of suffocation. If you press the center of the mattress, it should snap back readily without having to conform to the shape of your hand.
This is the layer above the coils in the crib mattress. It is usually made of cotton, foam or polyester. The foam and cotton usually add into the price as they are a sign of quality. Ones made of polyester are not advisable because they have a tendency to form pockets. It is always important to look at the quality when working on a tight budget.
Never purchase an innerspring mattress that doesn’t have border rods. They are usually fitted around the perimeter of the top and bottom. Border rods provide a strong side and edge support that prevents sagging when your baby walks or stands near the edge. It guarantees durability and extra firmness for the crib mattress.
Most of the top-rated models offer adaptive comfort, longevity, and value. Most of the products in our top ten list have passed the stringent testing conditions that are necessary when purchasing a crib mattress. All of them are also available in Amazon, since it is the most convenient and the best place to buy a mattress. Our top pick was the Colgate Eco Classica III since it includes all features needed in a crib mattress. The eco-friendly foam and orthopedic style make it the best alternative for a healthy sleeping environment. The Safety 1st offers the best budget pick and was included in the list due to its amazing properties.
Choosing a crib mattress for your baby or toddler can be very tricky if you lack an idea of what to look for in the marketplace. You can always get the best deal without having to sacrifice on quality.
(Last updated: 12/18/2017)